Monday 29 August 2011

What are the best sandwiches?

I read a blog post the other day called The Best Sandwiches and this got me thinking about my own favorite sandwich.
For me it would have to be something hot and preferably covered in melted cheese. In the winter my favorite sandwich has to be the bacon brie and cranberry baguette. It's fantastic toasted and is a real warmer on those short winters days.
So what's your favorite sandwich? Is it a classic, or a sandwich a little crazier maybe? Leave a comment and let me know.

There are my favorites though and I'll start with a classic:

Egg and Bacon Sandwich

The egg and bacon sandwich is a breakfast staple for much of the world and it's one that I couldn't get by without at the weekend. First thing I do Saturday morning is go down stairs and put the grill on. That's right, grill. No fried bacon for me... I prefer it without all the grease. So I grill the bacon and then poach on egg and cram it into a muffin. Perfect food for fixing the brain damage sustained the night before.

This is a really simple sandwich to change around and put your own touch to, for instance I like to add some Red Hot Dutch cheese to give it that cheesy kick... I call it the "heart attack"... it's always nice to take in a day and a half's worth of calories in one sitting. If you don't fancy giving your heart the extra workout then you can chance it up by adding mushrooms and tomato's.



BLT sandwich

The BLT (Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato) is a classic sandwich which probably explains why it's one of the  U.S.A. and UK's favourite lunch time bites. Its history is wrapped up in that of tea sandwiches (no i don't know what they are either) popular a couple of hundred years ago. The initials are a bit of a give away when it comes to ingredients. BLT stands for bacon, lettuce and tomato and these basics are topped of with mayonnaise and stuck between a couple of slices of bread, or if your like me then you'll prefer a baguette. You can customise this tasty sandwich by changing the mayonnaise, using a BBQ mayo for instance, or you use of the bread you go with but it must always have bacon lettuce and tomato in to qualify as a BLT.

Club Sandwich
The club sandwich, or chicken and bacon sandwich as those state side refer to it as is a giant in the sandwich , is another classic. The “club” name comes from sandwiches popularity in the restaurants, hotels and private clubs of America and the Saratoga Club House in Saratoga Springs, New York is credited with being the first place to serve it. The sandwich consists of layers of chicken, Bacon, tomato and lettuce. This is without doubt one of the best sandwiches and will always be hugely popular.
The recipe for the best chicken and bacon sandwich is below but if you would like to try some others then check out these club sandwich recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment